Sunday, November 1, 2015

Adventures in pattern MOD's No.1

Every once in a while, you find a pattern that you almost fall in love with...
Structurally, it has it all...it's fitted beautifully with the right kind of ease, length and elasticity, you can totally see yourself wearing it every day, well...if only...it weren't for __________! (fill in the blank).
If you're like me, you do this... um, ALL THE TIME. "I wish it had this cable instead," or "This would look so much better if it had a different rib," etc.
I'm always modifying patterns to my liking! Why not? One of the most incredible things about knitting and crochet is that you can make it your own! Yes....even with minimal math skills you can take something with potential and make it a success. It may not be a masterpiece every time (believe me, I've made some Frankenstein garments in my time), but it's certainly possible. Not to mention the idea of a challenge! I LOVE a good problem solving! Nothing is worse to me than gliding through a pattern without having to think...boorriiiing. There's something extremely satisfying about running into a problem, getting a little (eh, a lot) frustrated, putting things into perspective, and solving the problem successfully (unless you're under a deadline...that's a whole other animal).
I sound crazy, right? Maybe. But I stand by it. It keeps the passion alive :)
Anyway...
I knit these "Spira Mitts" by Holly Terell and the above mentioned situation presented itself. As you can see my mitts are completely different, visually. Structurally, they are exactly the same.


A few of you have asked me to explain my mods and I'm so happy you all like them!
But it got me to thinking how much I hate it when I fall in love with some genius's Ravelry project with extreme mods, and absolutely NO instructions in sight! "Pleeaase tell me what you did!" Ugh, I here the struggle, you've been there too, admit it.
I don't want to be one of those people who don't share.

So, I hereby resolve to record all of my modifications to pre-existing patterns here on my blog (going forward) even if they are unsuccessful. These mitts happen to be awesome... ;)

No.1
"Spira Mitts"
Shown in Lambstrings Ewetopia DK colorway "Corazon."
(apprx. 130 yds)
find more of this yarn here.

Here is what I did:
* CO for size small and knit 1x1 rib for 10 rnds.
* Worked honeycomb cable as follows:
 Row 1: (C4B, C4F) x3, P2, K to last 2 sts, P2.
 Row 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8: K 24, P2, K to last 2 sts, P2.
 Row 5: (C4F, C4B) x3, P2, K to last 2 sts, P2.
Repeat rows 1-8 until piece measures 4 1/2" from CO edge.
* Right: work gusset in stockinette, placing gusset marker right after first P2, continuing honeycomb cabling as established above (keeping original Spira st count).
* Left: work gusset in stockinette, placing gusset marker at 4 sts before end of rnd, continuing honeycomb cabling as established above (keeping original Spira st count).
* Work gusset to st count of original Spira pattern.
* Continue honeycomb cabling as established above for 1" more.
* Work 1x1 rib for 5 rnds and BO in pattern
* Pick up for thumb and K 1/2".
* Work 1x1 rib for 5 rnds and BO in pattern.

Find this project on Ravelry here for additional photos.

Hope this helps those who were asking about mine.

This pattern is so versatile. If there's a cable or lace stitch you like better, apply it instead!
Having trouble? Leave a comment below and we can discuss :)
I'd love to hear more ideas!


No comments:

Post a Comment